RE: yiddish music

Debbie:
I don't know if it helps at all, but Harvard University holds recordings of
two of the pieces you are looking for. Unfortunately they are both 78s.
Also note the variant spellings.
Judy.

 German, Lucy. Vi iz dos gesele Vop zick zick.
 New York?? :Pathe Phonograph & Radio Corp., 1920
 Recording
 78 rpm, mono.
 ALT TITLE: Vof tsik tsik.  Vop zick zick.

 Reichhardt, Max.
 Vi ahin zol ikh geyn
 [Paris] : Le Chant du Monde, 1940
 Recording  78 rpm, mono.
 Vu ahin zol ikh geyn? Sholem tants

At 07:25 PM 7/20/98 -0300, you wrote:
>I don't know of anyone today who publishes violin transcriptions of
yiddish songs.  There are violin pieces on Jewish and even Hassidic themes
by classical composers that you can buy:

>Kol Nidrei by Max Bruch
>Three Pictures of Chassidic Life, by Ernst Bloch (hard, not for beginners)
>Various pieces by Joseph Achron
>
>None of these are exactly what you are looking for but they might be helpful.
>
>If you are really in earnest and have the time, you can xerox pieces at
YIVO, the national Yiddish archive, in New York.  They have an interesting
collection of pieces for violin and piano, and violin, voice and piano,
published in the first quarter of this century.  If you decide to take this
step, email me and I will give you a list of pieces that will make your
search easier.

>And don't mind Reyzl, she tends to be short-fused occasionally.  Welcome
to the list.

>Yoel Epstein
>yoel (at) netvision(dot)net(dot)il

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->