RE: Yiddish terms

Alex,

I don't know what joy you get out of always telling us the German
equivalent of Yiddish words.  Not even on Purim is this response
either correct or relevant.  The Yiddish term has nothing to do
with modern German.   Both Modern German and Modern Yiddish grew
out of Middle High German and thus both are equally close and equally
distant from the common source.  Yiddish did not get these terms from
German.

Across all Yiddish dialects, "polke" means a non-Jewish, Polish
woman and a "pulke" means a drumstick.

Too bad I didn't have time to read this on Purim.  I would have
been in the Purimdik spirit.

I guess the xylophone derived from a "polke" too, didn't it?

Reyzl