From:  Paul M. Gifford[SMTP:PGIFFORD (at) flint(dot)umich(dot)edu]
Sent:  Tuesday, March 31, 1998 7:36 AM
To:  World music from a Jewish slant.
Subject:  RE: Yiddish terms

Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky <reyzl (at) flash(dot)net> said:

> Bill Barabash wrote:
>
> >I was told that my surname "Barabash" means "drummer".  Maybe it's
> >a regional thing;  my father's father grew up in the Bessarabian
> >shtetl Benderi.
>
> I think you got 'barabash' mixed up with 'baraban', which means a small
> drum.   (The instrumentalist of that is called a 'barabantshik'.)  I
> don't speak Russian, but I have a copy of a Russian-Yiddish children's
> story and there is a poem about a 'barabash' with a picture of a large
> squash.  Can't find it now to confirm my memory.   Also don't have time
> to check this with a Slavicist.  Hope you will.

Maybe so, but the -ash ending is used in Romanian:  flueras(h),
"[fipple] flute player"; trimbitzash, "trumpeter"; and Hungarian,
primas, "first violin,"; kontras; cimbalmos; etc.  Bendery is close
to the Romanian-speaking area and perhaps it was a term in that area.

Paul Gifford

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->