Re[2]: Associations

Dear Sir Winston,
        let me clarify a few points from my humble perspective:

1)  there is not a contest here which melody is best.  There is value in a
LOT of different meoldies.

2)  hopefully, the meoldy is congruent with the litrugy or perhpas with the
occasion.  I engage in "wedding" melodies on the the shabbos of an Aufruf
or of a wedding anniversary, because it's in the spirit of the day,
although not of the piece.  ( By weeding meoldies, I mean jewshi ones such
as Od Yishomo, Ahser boro, Simon Tov uMazel Tov, etc.)

3)  certain melodies carry "baggage".  EG Wagner I think has a lot of
unpleasant associations.  No itsy bisy's baggage is that it is a popular
nuersery rhyme.  So for kids - gezuntaheit!.  however, adults MIGHT find
that this piece has trivial overtones and might detract from the dignity of
the service.  it doesn't mean that the music is INTRINSICALLY bad, it;'s
just it has a very "unserisou" association.

4)  I've emailed Wendy and Itzik Leib, that if we were more familiar with
our own rich repertoire of liturgical modes, we could use them isntead of
some of the more popular tunes.  IE, if the end of Oleinu needs a birght
cheery closing, maybe we can do better than 3 blind mice and the farmer in
the Dell.  Not that thsoe tunes are aweful, it's that when people realize
their association to nursery tunes, it detracts from their concentration.
however, a bright cheery Chassidic march might fit the bill without the
negative baggage.  Or perhaps something from a lewandowksi.

Regards,
Rich Wolpoe