Re: Yiddish on List

Date:          Mon, 2 Mar 1998 15:16:15 -0500
From:          ganeydn (at) crocker(dot)com (Joe Kurland)
To:            "World music from a Jewish slant." <jewish-music (at)
shamash(dot)org>
Subject:       Re: Yiddish on List

Ari, if this is too far off of music, feel free to reject it.

>    Jennifer> A question came to mind as I was reading the discussion of
>    Jennifer> Yiddish on the List: Did anyone experience Yiddish as a secret
>    Jennifer> language used by adults when they did not want children to
>    Jennifer> understand what was being said?  How did you feel about it?

Since my mother could not speak or understand Yiddish -- she was born and
raised in South
Dakota !! -- my father spoke Yiddish with his brothers, sisters and any others
who could
understand it.  I don't ever remember him using Yiddish to keep anything from
me other than
when he was mad and cursing.  And that was probably more because he just felt
more comfortable
automaticaly shifting to Yiddish at those times.  But what came through most
clearly, even
then, was his intense love of the language.  We were very fortunate, I know,
that conveying
fear of the past or even hiding it from us was not a part of him.

About 20 years ago, after much discussion with the Intourist offices both here
and in theUSSR,
he was allowed to and did travel to the small Shtetl, Schotsk, where he was
born and from
which he left in 1920.  He found one old woman who remembered playing with the
family as a
child.  The towns people took him to the hill where the Germans had murdered
all of the Jews
so he could say Kaddish.  He also went to the local Jewish cemetary which was
well maintained
and took many photographs of the tombstones and other scenes.  On his return he
showed them
to the landslicht sociieties where people could remember their relatives.

If anyone's relatives were from Schotsk, let me know and I can get copies made
of any slides.

Leonard Koenick
Leonard

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->