Re: Yiddish on List

Yosl Kurland wrote:

> But I always felt that there was some
>hidden meaning about what being Jewish is that you could say in Yiddish but
>not in English.

How could that not be so?  The language is custom-made for its culture, by
its culture.  That's why it's so important to have Yiddish on a Jewish music
list.  And why it's important to have translations available.

The Gypsies say "Tchatchimo Romano," the truth is told in Romany.  That has
many meanings, but I think the chief one is that, to a Gypsy, to say
something in another language is to make it false.

Owen
        Owen Davidson, Amherst, Mass.
        The Wholesale Klezmer Band

        The Angel that presided o'er my birth
        Said Little creature formd of Joy and Mirth,
        Go love without the help of any King on Earth.

                                Wm. Blake

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->