Re: Yiddish on List

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Alex Jacobowitz wrote:

> B"H Munich

> That's interesting, Alana!
> SO I suppose Suesskind von Trimberg
> was in reality a famous Russian poet,
> and not a German Jew, as we've suspected all along ???

No, Suesskin*d* probably *IS* a Yiddish name. The "d" is important. No "d"
on the matronymic _in ending. In't linguistics fun? People misspell my
name all the time with a "d" sometimes it helps to explain the difference
between Russian Suskin (really Soskin) and German Seuskind. Sometimes it
doesn't. I mean, people mispronounce "alana" whenthey see it spelt, and
misspell it whenthey've heard it. There's only so much you can do.

Alana Suskin (no "d")

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->