Re: Klezmer Clarinet

Moshe Denburg wrote:

>It could be that in the days before amplifiers and P.A.'s the Trumpet would
>have tended to obliterate the rest of the ensemble - especially in Klezmer's
>signature high energy pieces.
>
>Just a thought.

----------------
Plenty of the early klezmer ensembles had trumpets in them. They just
weren't often featured prominently, and certainly didn't obliterate the
clarinets playing the lead. I would think that the lack of good
amplification would be a reason to have a nice loud instrument leading the
charge, rather than the opposite.According to some people that's precisely
why clarinets replaced fiddles when they started recording this stuff.

Earlier periods aside, now that we have sound engineering technology that
allows us to do pretty much whatever we want, why are there still only a
small handful of excellent trumpet players who have chosen to focus on
klezmer?

Bob Jacobson

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->