RE: Klezmer Clarinet

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky wrote:

> music and a new sound, as they will happily tell you.   Does anyone
> have any citation of bagpipes being used by Jews or in Jewish contexts?
> Wish someone would find some 'cause I would imagine that if Jews had

Yes!
Sephardic and Mizrachi music traditionally uses bagpipes. (In Spain,
particularly, it was common to use a bagpipe made from the hide of an
 entire kid). I think it very likely that Balkan Jewish musicians also
used bagpipes, although I can't cite from the top of my head.

Alana Suskin

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->