Re: Klezmer Clarinet

Dear Owen:

While I love the accordian, count me in the Pro-Bagpipe contingent.

As for Jewish musicians who feature bagpipes, the Israeli Band Esta uses
bagpipes as an important part of their distinctive sound.  While there isn't
very much Klez in Esta, they are deeply involved in mizrachi and some chasidic
music.  At first the bagpipes sound awkward, but after a few minutes they meld
seamlessly into the fusion that Esta is creating with dumbek, bazouki and
other more indigenous instruments.

Many celtic folkrock bands have used various pipes in interesting and powerful
ways.  While they start in folk, the end product can't really be called
"folkloric" since it expands the tradition and seeks to appeal to a broader
audience.  A particularly "rocking" example are the Tannahill Weavers who did
a moving song about the murder of the Israeli athletes in Munich ["At the End
of a Pointed Gun," tune, Erev Shel Shoshanim].

Gideon Aronoff
Garonoff (at) aol(dot)com

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->