Re: Cantors of Good Voice

B"H Luzern, Switzerland

Now, if a great Cantor can bring God to an atheist, don't you think
that......????
Enjoy The Music
Simon

Well, as Simon says, ".....???????";

Better still, let's use a phrase from Yiddish, "a nechtiger tog"
a nightly day - ain't no such thing. Communism is rapidly going
out of fashion. Atheism, too.
Cantorism, soon, maybe?

Monsieur Simon - maybe your old Yiddish friend
worshipped Rosenblatt instead of the Creator.  I remember distinctly
getting to know
the present-day cantor at the mammoth Dohanyi Utca Synagogue in Budapest.
He told
me frankly that he was hired for the position because he had already worked
in the
theater as an operatic bass.

Nothing to do with piety, of course. L'hefech - (Hebrew - the opposite), he
knew nothing about the
service and wasn't embarrassed about that little detail -- in the
slightest. He simply acted as
his employers told him. He learned his Hebrew lines; belched them out in
his
bariest of tones; drank deeply from the goblet on cue (though he didn't
know or care whether the
wine itself was kosher).

He took the gig, funny hat and all. A true professional.
Some of us see something wrong with that. Do you?

Happy Hanuka

Alex

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->