Cantors of Good Voice

How does the quality of the Cantor's voice affect the quality of the
religious experience of the congregation. Many people find music
spiritually moving. When I was married, we had a Cantor and Rabbi under the
Chupah with us. I wanted the Cantor because a. he was of virtuous spirit
and b. he could hit a note that would reverberate through my heart.

The music of the cantor doesn't need to be a "show" but it should be able
to stir the soul. I would think that the quality of the singing plays a
part in this as much as the quality of the person doing the canting (is
that a word?...now it is).

Isn't there some discussion in Cantorial studies about the psychological
and spiritual effect of using your musical bag of tricks such as dynamics,
tempo, modes, and other stylistic devices. Not to mention the ability to
just close your eyes and sing your ever loving heart out!
Benny

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->