hatikvah

It seems the Jewish Music list is getting hot, a little too
close to the flame. I publicly apologize to Dennis Ehn if I may have
given the impression that I was insulting him. Indeed his latest messages
have clarified the point that we are in agreement about the topic. The tune
which we now associate with Hatikvah has been around for a long time. It
pops up here and there in printed collections all over Europe, in Jewish and
non-Jewish sources, both sacred and secular.
Joshua R. Jacobson
Northeastern University
Boston, MA 02115
JRJ (at) neu(dot)edu