Re: Jewish Music

On Fri, 16 Dec 1994 Hazzan (at) aol(dot)com wrote:

> I agree with what you have written.  For us at HUC in the cantorial program,
> we recognize the "fight" to maintain good quality hazzanut music, with the
> desire from many congregations to hear "camp style" music.  Though, I think
> there is a place for the music that Friedman compose's - it still has to be
> balanced with the other music that is being sung during the service.

> joel colman

Thanks Joel.
One question is needed.  How do you sugest this balance.  Again, this is
a subjective question, you are entitled to your oppinion, as much as I or
any other persons are.

My oppinion is that when we balance which songs to add to a service, we
should go back to our rich muscial tradition and find out in the "warm
and fuzzy" music, which songs do fit in with the old tradition.  There is
also a matter of taste involved in this.  In olden days, the 'Hashkivenu'
prayer used to be a place for a cantorial piece.  Maybe the taste of the
congregations has changed so much that they would ask for a Debbie
Friedman's 'Hashkivenu' (which is, by the way, a lovely piece).  It can
be fitting with the tradition for Friday Night, provided you use a more
solemn Chatimah.

Waiting to hear more.
Henrique

Henrique Ozur Bass                      Jewish Theological Seminary of America
Cantorial Student                       21 Pilgrim Lane
hebass (at) JTSA(dot)EDU                        Westbury, NY 11