Re: Debbie Friendman in New Orleans (fwd)a question

Pat Morgan (patmorgm (at) interport(dot)net) wrote:
[some deleted]

: When I was 11 and in Orthodox Jewish Camp, Camp Edward Issacs, Rabbi Joe
: turned to us and told us the following story.

: Der Besht made his appearance at a synagogue in a small town. People came from
: far and wide to hear and pray with him. So did a little boy who could not
: speak. The little boy had a flute with him. As Der Besht prayed and lifted the
: congregation to a higher plane, the boy started playing his flute in melody
: with the prayer. The congregation stopped. Music in temple on Shabbes. They
: were ready to stone the boy. Der Besht stopped the congregation and told them,
: "He is praying the only way he knows how, Let him love G-d as we do." And the
: boy played the flute in temple.

  This is realy the core of Judaism, not as some Eastren_jewery liked to
  move into a business like or some hideous practices.
  I'm none beleiver and feel Judaism has been made into  authoritative
  dogma. This story is rather moving because it really shows how can a
  religious zealot turn a wonderful moments into a nightmares for those
  who are truely faithful and honest about their trustworthiness in G-d.
  To me the deaf boy was more sincere in his prayer than those who wanted
  to stoned him.

: Rabbi went on to tell us that some people do not know Hebrew, so they read the
: English. Some people cannot read at all but can hum with the melody. And some
: people are deaf and blind and cannot pray with the congregation. But their
: presence is what counts. What is in their hearts is what counts. And what is
: in their soul is what counts. He told us that we should not feel lower because
: some know Hebrew and some don't. Because some were in temple for the first
: time in their lives and did not know the prayers. He told us to just pray
: anyway we knew how. G-d would get our message and understand our love and
: respect.

 You have been lucky to have such rabbi who is aware of his surroundings.

: ----
: I used to play guitar at Congregation Beth Simchat Torah in Greenwich Village
: in NYC. It is the Gay and Lesbian Synagogue. I am a lesbian. We sing Debbie
: Friedman songs as liturgy. Her songs are as beautiful as can be. Yedid Nefesh
: is one of my favorite songs both inside and outside of the temple. I pray when
: I listen to the CD of Yedid Nefesh. I am praying when I play it on the guitar.
: It is no less as beautiful and as spiritual as a Debbie Friedman prayer.

: Some may appreciate her work and use it in their prayers at their temples.
: Some may prefer more traditional liturgy. Does it honestly matter? As long as
: one is showing their love and devotion for G-d and the creations of G-d and
: thanking G-d for such creations, does it matter how is it said and done, as
: long as it is done?

: Good Shabbes

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->