Re: Debbie Friendman in New Orleans (fwd)a question

Hazzan (hazzan (at) aol(dot)com) wrote:
: And now you annoint the Chazan as G-d's representative in liturgical
: music? How soon it all falls back to self-preservation of the existing
: hierarchy.

: Adrian
: - - - - - - - - -

: Adrian,
: I am curious, what do you think is the role of the Cantor?  For me a
: cantor is a schliach tzibbur, a messenger of the prayer?  And yes, when I
: sing, I am singing to God as representative of the congregation.

: joel

: - good discussion here for the last week or so ...
It seems to me that whoever is leading the davening is representing the
congregation. The whole point of the chazzan was to allow people to be
yotzei by listening to him and responding.
      Neal Shanske

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->