Re: Debbie Friendman in New Orleans (fwd)a question

Actually, this has gotten as far away from Debbie Friedman in New
Orleans as I'd care to imagine.  But in response to Fred Weil's comment:

> Where there is a choir or Chazan which overpowers the congregation,
  who then reamain silent, I feel as though I am at a concert rather
  than a service.

If liturgical music is performed with the proper background, talent,
and intent, it can have extremely powerful effects on (dare I say it)
the soul of the listener.  A cantor and choir can most definitely help
us to open our hearts, to daven with true kavanah. If you need
convincing, try any of the recordings by the Male Choir of the Great
Synagogue in Moscow.  In particular, I recommend "Sabbath Prayers and
Songs" (available through Velvl Pasternak at Tara Publications,
516-295-2290).  To me, listening to the Moscow Choir's rendition
of "Ki Lekach Tov" is far more moving than singing Sunday School
melodies with a roomful of halfhearted shulgoers.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->