Re: Debbie Friendman in New Orleans (fwd)a question

In article <Pine(dot)3(dot)89(dot)9412151811(dot)D24779-0100000 (at) plains>
   "Adrian A. Durlester" <durleste (at) plains(dot)NoDak(dot)edu> writes:
> On Thu, 15 Dec 1994 HEBASS (at) jtsa(dot)edu wrote:

> Also, not all prayer need be introspective. More "up" tunes can be just
> as appropriate for certain parts of the service.

> However, sometimes the mechanics of making music can interfere. No doubt
> about it. But it happens with non-contemporary melodies just as well as
> modern ones!

I agree about the mechanics of music making interfering with prayer.  When all
congregants join in the singing I find that prayer is heightened.  Where there
is a choir or Chazan which overpowers the congregation, who then reamain
silent, I feel as though I am at a concert rather than a service.
Fred Weil                                               fredw (at)
fred1(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk