Re: Sephardic shul

        The world of Jewish ethnomusicology literally encompasses most of
        the world's music in one way or another (although I don't yet know
        of any Hebrew Gamelan compositions...)

it doesn't really count, i know, but steve reich has written a number of
contemporary works in the "minimalist" genre (i have in mind chiefly
his "music for 18 musicians") that seem based on, or at least inspired by,
indonesian gamelon music.  i believe i read somewhere that reich studied
gamelon music, as well as african drumming.  i believe reich himself is
jewish.  incidentally, he also wrote a work entitled "tehillim" which is
a setting of certain passages (sung in hebrew) from the psalms.  also
by the way, one of the pianists in reich's ensemble is israeli (or at
least has a very israeli-sounding name -- which escapes me at the moment).

anyway, it's probably only a matter of time  :)

peter
pdm (at) cs(dot)uoregon(dot)edu
pdmark (at) colby(dot)edu

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->