Re: Sephardic shul

Whoopsy, somebody said singing in fourths was from early Gregorian
chant.  Forgive me if I'm outa it, but isn't that already organum?
Early Gregorian chant sounds a lot more like Torah trope to my ears.
And of course, Jews may have participated in the organum trend, but I don't
know of any documentation of it except the after-the-fact bit of modern
shuls doing it.  As folks mentioned here, Jews were pretty active in the
musical "renaissance" and "baroque" movements (a reference to the
New York Pro Musica Antiqua's records of Salomone Rossi goes here).
But I don't know of any cantus firmus shabbat services (---but for
a proper fee I'd make one up!).
-Matt

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->