From: "Renaissance Man" <rainlore (at) blueyonder(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 7:10 PM
Subject: Re: songs about mothers, fathers and mothers in law

> It does, but more likely IMO it derives from the German "Schwieger-"
(e.g., Schwiegermutter = mother-in-law) which is pronounced identically to
the Yiddish. However, IIRC, both the Spanish and German form share a common
Latin root, which I can't remember (don't really remember any of my Latin).
Got a memory problem, I forget what. ;-P

> Richard

> On 20/04/2004 at 23:26 MizLac (at) aol(dot)com wrote:
>
> >"shviger" in yiddish for mother in law does sound cogate with suegra in
> >spanish
> >
> >Perele in Brooklyn
> >

> ---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->