Torah shebichtav (was: a few postscripts)

Er, it's true that the seder as we practise it isn't
found in the tanach, however, I suggest a thorough
reading of this week's torah portion (Bo)
Chapter 12:1-20 (particularly vss 14 ff.), which
clearly does designate Passover, and a sort of
proto-seder. Moreover, it's inaccurate to refer to
those things which we find in the Talmud (versus the
Tanach, which is apparently the distinction being
made) as not God-given.
Although the gemara (talmud) is a recording of
discussions between the rabbis, it too, is considered
to have a divine source, in that it is the writing
down of the oral law that was given at Sinai together
with the Written Torah - and the arguments are
intended as getting as close to the tradition as
handed down as possible.

Alana Suskin
--- "I. Oppenheim" <i(dot)oppenheim (at) xs4all(dot)nl> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 music (at) sterlingmp(dot)org wrote:
>
> > 2) Passover seder -- one of the two most commonly
> > observed rituals of Jewish life in America.  Is
> the
> > seder "G*d-given"?  It's nowhere in the Torah --
> Seek
> > and you *won't* find.
>
> And the core of the seder text is formed by a
> collection of ancient midrashim!
>

>  Groeten,
>  Irwin Oppenheim
>  i(dot)oppenheim (at) xs4all(dot)nl