Re: essential klezmer cds

My own list would include Budowitz' "Mama Loshn" (Mother Tongue) and Alicia
Svigals' "Fidl" as examples of exquisitely performed traditional klezmer, and
Margot Leverett and the Klezmer Mt. Boys' recent CD (epynomous, I believe) as a
fine example of musical bridging with a sacrosanct American folk idiom
(bluegrass).

I'd also include the first two albums of the Klezmorim ("East Side Wedding" and
"Streets of Gold"), but perhaps they were issued more than 25 years ago (well,
sometime during the mid-to-late seventies, no?). In any case, they were
extremely important to the then-nascent klezmer revival.

-Andy Rubin
Ceilizemer and The Freilachmakers Klezmer String Band