Re: Yiddish art song

It's difficult sometimes to make a distinction between "art" and "folk" or
"theatre" songs. To me, art songs usually have quite a challenging piano
accompaniment, with just as much musical interest as the melody  and text. The
text might be poetry set to music, although there have frequently been folk
songs given such ornate accompaniments that they certainly would qualify as art
songs.

Please feel free to search our library's online catalog: http://sefer.jtsa.edu
under subject heading= songs, yiddish. We use standardized Library of Congress
subject headings, so you may search any library's database with this heading.
The Yiddish art songs will be mixed up with Yiddish folk and theatre songs but
there are quite a few there.

Jascha Nemtsov--a lovely guy and fabulous pianist--did not "discover" The New
Jewish School. (He might have popularized the term.) Much research was done by
American musicologist Albert Weisser in the fifties and sixties and published
in his THE MODERN RENAISSANCE OF JEWISH MUSIC, as well as by Irene Heskes later
on. Both Weisser and Solomon Rosowsky--a founder of the Society for Jewish
Music in St. Petersburg--taught here at the JTS Cantorial School. We have
Rosowsky's papers with his published and unpublished scores. The music from
this group of early twentieth-century Russian-Jewish composers never really
disappeared within Conservative Judaism's cantorial circles. It was kept alive
by cantors with a profound knowledge of Yiddish art song as well as performance
practice, such as, Louis Danto, Samuel Rosenbaum, Abe Lubin, Robert Abelson,
Bernard Fitch, etc.

Primary among the vocal composers from the St. Petersburg Society was Moses
Milner, sometimes called the "Jewish Schubert." His "In Cheder" was always very
popular among the finest of cantors  from "The Golden Age" of the early part of
the twentieth century. His "Iber di hoyfen" and "Vokal Suite:Kinderlider" are
beautiful art songs. A few other vocal composers from the St. Petersburg School
would be M. Gnessin, J. Achron, and Solomon Rosowsky. From the Moscow branch of
the Folk Music Society, two impt. composers would be Alexander Krein and, of
course, Joel Engel, who was the earliest pioneer who wanted to develop a
"National Jewish Style" of Art Music in Russia.

This movement spread to other countries. There were composers in Germany mainly
between the wars who were involved with Yiddish Art Song, among them: Hugo
Adler, Jakob Dymont and Arno Nadel. In London there was Samuel Alman, a very
important, often overlooked composer. In America, there have been any number of
composers who were involved with synagogue music who composed Yiddish art
songs: Ruben Kosakoff, Max Helfman and Zavel Zilberts come immediately to mind.

Eliott Kahn

At 01:48 PM 1/11/2004 -0500, Sylvia Schildt wrote:
>I mean a folk song is one whose authorship is lost to time and has many
>versions.  I think of art songs as someone's poetry set to music. Then other
>Hersh Glick song I mention "Dos Zangl" is a love song and I think falls into
>the art song category -- I forget which Mlotek book it's in, but it's there.
>
>Also folk songs are kind of singalong-friendly -- art songs generally are
>not.
>
>An art song is a special moment of communication between the performer and
>the audience.
>

>At least that's what in my fevered brain.
>

>Sylvia Schildt
>Baltimore, MD
>

>on 1/10/04 6:17 PM, Sylvie Braitman at curlySylvie (at) hotmail(dot)com wrote:
>
>> I guess when I say art songs, I mean music that cannot be just written with
>> a chord chart. 'Zog nit keynmol" can. It does not mean I don't like the
>> song. I perform it. But what I'm looking for is something that clearly
>> belongs to a different genre. Again I am not against folk music, but this is
>> a different project.
>> Thanks for the various leads though. I'll listen to lorele's CD, and
>> research all the others.
>> But what do you mean when you say "A lot of what is thought to be folk music
>> isn't"? I think I know what you mean but would be interested to hear more
>> about it.
>> Thanks!
>> Sylvie

Dr. Eliott Kahn
Music Archivist
Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America
3080 Broadway
New York, NY 10027
WK: (212) 678-8076
FAX (212) 678-8998