Re: Yiddish poetry

I agree with Irwin.  I'm sure that's what Sylvia meant.  There are many
songbooks I have seen where songs with known composers are listed as folk
or traditional because the editors or publishers had either no knowledge
and no resources for finding the information, or no inclination to do so.
 Many composed songs and poems became folklorized within the author or
composer's lifetime.  I forget about whom the story is told (I'm sure
someone on this list can refresh my memory), but the songwriter was
listening to a singer sing one of his songs.  Afterward he went up to
talk to the singer and told him that certain lines should have been
otherwise, and were changed from the original.  The outraged singer said,
"Who are you to tell me this?  I've been singing it this way for 10
years!"  The songwriter left it at that.

Many of Warshavsky's songs are like that.  Also the lyrics of Rivesman.

Lorele

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 01:00:41 +0100 (W. Europe Standard Time) "I.
Oppenheim" <i(dot)oppenheim (at) xs4all(dot)nl> writes:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Sylvie Braitman wrote:
>
> > I guess when I say art songs, I mean music that cannot be just
> written with
> > a chord chart.
>
> So you mean polyphonic music rather than homophonic
> music?
>
> > But what do you mean when you say "A lot of what is
> > thought to be folk music isn't"?
>
> There's a lot of Jewish music that is assumed to be
> "traditional", simply because people don't care to
> find out who composed the songs in question.
>

>  Groeten,
>  Irwin Oppenheim
>  i(dot)oppenheim (at) xs4all(dot)nl
>  ~~~*