From: "Seth Rogovoy" <seth(dot)rogovoy (at) verizon(dot)net>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2003 5:51 PM
Subject: Shrinking audiences? (was RE: Khevre is astounding)

I wonder if what has been noted below isn't partly due to an overall trend
affecting live music in theaters and clubs across the land -- and that is
that in the last few years, certainly since 9/11 but especially since the
beginning of Operation Iraqi Liberation, box office has been down across the
board.

That certainly has been the case in my little corner of the world (western
Massachusetts/Berkshires), where bands, including some of the ones mentioned
below, that used to be guaranteed sellouts, are lucky to attract a few dozen
people. Even Michelle Shocked is playing a rare solo gig at a local
nightclub that seats 100 tomorrow night, and as far as I know that show has
yet to sell out.

Have the professional performing musicians on this list noticed a definite
drop at the box office since last spring?

--Seth Rogovoy