RE: Chassidic Classic with Giora Feidman

On 01/12/2003 at 12:12 Laoise Davidson wrote:

>Hi - Giora recently played at the Union Chapel in London (organised by JMI
-
>Jewish Music Institute), having not played here for over 20 years.  It was
>an amazing performance - the thing is he really knows how to entertain.  I
>had also heard him on CD prior to seeing him live, and wasnt that
>impressed - but live he is incredible.  He comes from the traditional

I too have to confess that some of Feidman's earlier klezmer recordings
didn't quite "hit" here - I especially felt a lot of pieces seemed to
suffer from somewhat excessive krekhtsn and other ornamentation. Later
recordings seemed to get better and better. However, this is one artist you
truly have to hear live to fully appreciate his genius. The difference is
almost like night and day. (Although his technical and virtuosic perfection
has never been in any doubt at least to me and much of the classical world
too it would seem, and he has also gained wide admiration and respect among
jazz and world music performers.) Giora Feidman live is a veritable
phenomenon. A great showman too, unquestionably, but equally
unquestionably, his music could equally well stand on its own.

As for the perennial arguments as to whether his music is klezmer or not,
"klezmer" really ought to be big enough to encompass his brand of it, which
after all has virtually given rise to a whole new klezmer tradition of its
own in Israel.In my - never humble - opinion, any klezmorim who would deny
Feidman's klezmer music would only diminish themselves. Keep an open mind,
an open ear, and an open heart - Feidman's music is very big-hearted music
by a very big-hearted man. In the final analysis, does it really matter
whether it is klezmer music of one tradition or another, or klezmer music
at all? I can't do better than quote the great man himself here, who puts
it very simply and even with humility, "It's music."

>Klezmer background, but he has moved on, retaining enough of his klezmer
>roots, making it his own.  Traditional Klezmer is great, but it would get
>boring if everyone only played it traditionally all the time.  But Giora
>brings a dynamic personality and great stage presence to the fore - for
him
>it is not just about Klezmer but to entertain, educate and communicate.
So,

Agreed on all counts. But it is precisely communication that it's all
about, and it is the ability to truly communicate to and with his audience
that distinguishes a truly great musician form a merely good, technically
perfect one. And live, what a cummunicator Maestro Feidman is! More than a
month after the event, I have to confess to still being in awe.

>before you pass judgement based on his recordings, I suggest you try to
see
>him live.

Seconded! Miss Feidman live and there's a pretty good chance you'll miss
one of the truly great musical experiences of a lifetime.

Richard
("Renaissance Man")

>Laoise
>JMI Library