Re: Chassidic Classic with Giora Feidman

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: MaxwellSt (at) aol(dot)com
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 6:29 PM
  Subject: Re: Chassidic Classic with Giora Feidman

  Feidman (which he pronounced FADEman) came to Chicago and sat in with Maxwell
Street some years ago (10?).  His ability to capture an audience and wrap them
around his finger was amazing to watch.  Few clarinetists have the ability to
focus an audience on their performance the way he does, and I don't think there
is anything wrong with that.  On the contrary, being an entertainer as well as
an artist is (IMHO) right at the heart of traditional Yiddish performance.

  One thing that I have learned from watching him is that the best way to get
an audience's attention when it is waning it to play softly.  (See?  Didn't you
listen?)

  Lori

  When I was a student at Iowa State in the early 1950's, Carl Sandburg came as
a speaker.  Besides reading his poems and reminiscing, he also sang,
accompanying himself on guitar.  He spoke and sang just loud enough to hear,
and the audience gave him their full attention.  But I don't think it would
work for everyone.  He was always interesting enough to hold their attention.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->