Re: Brave Old World and Paris to Kyiv show.

At 07:36 PM 9/28/2003, you wrote:
>At that time the program explored the musical relationships between
>Ukranian folk and liturgical singing, and Nigunim, Khazzones and Yiddish
>folk songs.  I'm curious to know how the program has evolved.

 From discussions with Michael and others, my sense is that the additional
time together in LA in 2000 allowed them to do more numbers together,
working out and exploring some of the shared motifs and elements.  The
highlight of the concert, for me, was a terrific number that started out as
a simple peasant panpipe melody and accompaniment by Paris to Kyiv
charmingly performed which then was tossed to BOW, where Kurt Bjorling took
up the melody and wove it, with the help of the other 3, into a beautifully
expanded very Yiddish/klezmer melody and piece, where the modal changes and
ornamentation made it into an "unmistakably" Yiddish song, which the band
then improvised on in their inimitable style.  Nothing could make the
interconnections - and differences - more beautifully clear.

I know that Michael and Julian have been working together in the
intervening time.  I don't know whether the 2 bands have performed the
concert together again- I think so.  It will be exciting to hear how they
have further developed what was an already very, very good show at the
concert next Saturday.

Shira Lerner