IAYC conference

Hi all,

I just got back from the International Association of Yiddish Clubs
conference in Baltimore that our own Sylvia Schildt chaired.  What a
wonderful event!  I couldn't believe how close I got to so many people
in such a short time!  And hearing so much Yiddish at once--a mekhaye!
 The workshops and the concerts were delightful.

I was thrilled to perform my new Gelbart material at the opening night
concert and workshop the next day with Walt and Steven.  Zalmen Mlotek
did his Yiddish Theater history show; I had never heard the complete
version of the birthday song from Goldfaden's Shulamis before, Yale
Strom told us about his research into writings about klezmer in the
yizker bikher and brought us his new book, which I highly recommend.  It
is called The Book of Klezmer: The History, the music the folklore from
the 14th century to the 21st.  It has wonderful info, photos, and even a
klezmer-loshn appendix.  He also showed his film "Lekhayim, Comrade
Stalin" about Birobidzhan.  Watching this film brought to the mind of
one of the attendees a long-forgotten song she had learned in the Sholem
Aleykhem or Ordn shuln, called Mayn erdele, celebrating the people and
families who were about to immigrate to Birobidzhan.  She recalled two
verses for us, which were taped and transcribed by a few of us.  If
anyone knows this song and more verses, please let me know.

Itzik Gottesman paid a visit as an observer and reporter for the
Forvarts.  Henry Sapoznik gave a lecture about the successes of
KlezKamp.  Betty Tepper did a workshop on the history of Tango, and
Yiddish tango in Argentina and America, replete with film and audio
clips.  Ken and Shira, the newlyweds (everybody now--awwwww), performed
their songs of love and drinking.  I don't know how anyone sings and
plays at the same time...I certainly have trouble, but they did a good
job of it.  I danced a lot as they played.  Lots of people got up to
dance, but it was frustrating to me that all they would do was the
grapevine step, mayim dance and snakey line.  I did my best to lead them
in a more Yiddish vein and they took to it beautifully.  Boy, was I
shvitzing!

Sherm Labovitz, Sender Botwinik and (oh, man, I can't remember the
violinist's name--used to play with Hankus--Hey Adrianne, I have regards
for you from him, a neighbor of yours from Akron.  Your older sister
used to come over and tune his violin for him.) did the material from
Mayn Oytser and everyone wanted more, more more.

Phyllis Berk sang a terrific Yiddish "Come to the Cabaret", and one
night about 30 of us were up waaaaaay too late all singing.  The food
was very good, except for the kosher bagels which were more like soft
rolls, and the company was heymish.  I will treasure the experience and
hope to attend more.  I highly recommend the experience.

There's so much more, but I need a little sleep after working today and
being up for four days (well, I slept a little) previously.

By the way, if any of you would like the new CD, let me know.

Sh'koyekh, Sylvia!

mit frayndshaft,
Lorele

--
You can hear Lori's CD, Songs My Bubbe Should Have Taught Me; Vol.1: Passover,
at: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lcahan Only $15 & postage. Email me for more info.