new Yiddish music

I've been talking about new Yiddish music as a label for some of the most
exciting of the new music I've been listening to. I've finally changed some
categories on the KlezmerShack to reflect that, and have rejected "new
Jewish music," at least for now.

You can find my article  at:
http://www.klezmershack.com/articles/davidow/2003_0714_newYiddish.html

There are areas that I find exciting in terms of being "new" and being
intrinsically connected to Jewish identity--Pharoah's Daughter comes
immediately to mind, as does some of the music published by Zorn's "Radical
Jewish Culture" label.  Sometimes, though, it seems easier to describe one
piece of the picture as well as possible, rather than stick to an overview.

Comments much appreciated in the weblog (see bottom of article).

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/