Re: new Yiddish music

on 6/21/01 10:41 AM, Ari Davidow at ari (at) ivritype(dot)com wrote:

> In my reviews of Josh Waletzky's album, and then even more so when I talk
> about Mikveh, I find myself talking about new Yiddish music as the real
> cutting edge in popular Jewish music.

> Anyone have any thoughts about this? For those who have heard Mikveh, or
> Waletzky's "crossing the shadows," what are your thoughts?

I just got Mikveh a couple of days ago, and it's getting numerous repeats in
my CD player. I have many of the songs rolling around in my brain even when
the CD isn't playing and want to learn to sing them. I don't know if I'd
classify these sorts of projects cutting edge or not, but to me one of the
strengths of this album (and other albums that affect me this way) is the
feeling that comes across of how deeply grounded in tradition this music and
these songs are. This goes for the contemporary songs as well, they sound
like they've been around forever, that is the highest complement. IMO,
Mikveh has created a profoundly deep and spiritual album. I love it!

I haven't yet heard Waletsky's CD, so I won't offer opinions on it :-)

Seth

--
Seth Austen

http://www.sethausten.com