Re: recordings

In a message dated 6/14/3 9:38:14 PM, ted (at) jue-kuster(dot)com writes:

<< By the way, an Israeli guy I work with found out I play in a klezmer band

and immediately lent me a bunch of CD's by one Moshe Haim. I found the

tunes very reminiscent of Latin American pop stars like Juan Gabriel and

The artist is Chaim Moshe. He is Yemenite, MOST of his music was Greek songs
translated into Hebrew with that "Jewish-Arab" sound. This style was made
popular by Zohar Argov and the very early recordings of Benny Elbaz, whose
music
was primarily Spanish and Italian songs translated into Hebrew.

It is unfortunate that Sephardic Music is now considered practically anything
recorded by an artist who's not form Poland!  This causes much confusion when
searching for "authentic" recordings...and, unfortunately, I have now 'gone
with the flow' by putting such categories as Yemenite, Bakharan, Ethiopian, etc
under "Sephardic" on our site.
Realizing that some people might only be looking for "Jewish-Spanish"
recordings, we have created a separate "Ladino" category as well as "Sephardic"
category for non-"Spanish" music..such as Moroccan, Tunisian, Algeria, Jerba,

We now have well over 400 Ladino and 'other' Sephardic recordings in stock...
Our best selling CD for the last 6 months has been a Ladino CD by Savina
Yannatou, and last year, "The Italian Jewish Musical Traditions" Was out third
best selling CD, thanks in great part to the great review by Cantor Sam Weiss.

For more Sephardic CDs, visit our site at:
www.hatikvahmusic.com