Re: Musicians - how useful is Alexander Technique? Feldenkrais?

Yes! I have used both techniques as a musician and actor. It helps SO MUCH with physical stress and breathing. Something that performers "forget" to do all the time when they are playing and/or singing. I found that Feldenkrais although a bit mysterious as to how it actually works...is very good for posture and emotional blocks in the body.

 Here's a great place to start:

Body Learning: An Introduction to the Alexander Technique
by Michael J. Gelb, Laura Huxley

It's a fairly good intro to the subject of Alexander Technique.

I also saw that on Amazon.com there were a number of books specifically for musicians using the Alexander Technique.

The Potent Self: A Study of Spontaneity and Compulsion -- by Moshe Feldenkrais, et al; Paperback
Buy new: $10.47 -- Used & new from: $10.42
2.Awareness Through Movement: Easy-to-Do Health Exercises to Improve Your Posture, Vision, Imagination, and Personal Awareness -- by Moshe Feldenkrais (Author); Paperback
Buy new: $11.20 -- Used & new from: $8.45

3.
Singing With Your Whole Self: The Feldenkrais Method and Voice -- by Samuel H. Nelson, et al; Textbook Binding
Buy new: $29.95 -- Used & new from: $19.95

Trudi Goodman

STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* ---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org ---------------------+ Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network http://shamash.org A service of Hebrew College, which offers online courses and an online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/ * * FREE JEWISH LEARNING * * Shamash invites you to join MyJewishLearning.com, a comprehensive, objective, authoritative and interactive learning resource in all areas of Judaism. Free membership via http://www.myjewishlearning.com/shamash ---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org ---------------------=

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->