Re: Richard Farina/Carolyn Hester

Try reading my posting again...carefully. There was a folk music history written in the 70's about the Boston Folk Music scene...this is where I got the info about Hester. It's also a pretty well known fact around the older Folk Scene. Again read my listing...I never said Baez or her father were Jewish....jeezh.

Trudi

>To: World music from a Jewish slant
>Subject: Re: Richard Farina/Carolyn Hester
>Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 13:01:48 -0700 (MST)
>
>I'm not sure on what basis Trudi avers what follows, but: 1) Joan Baez was
>not Jewish, and 2) Joan did not learn Donna Donna from Carolyn Hester--at
>least, not from anything I was told. I think I know exactly whence she
>learned it--specifically, from Tony Saletan in the Boston area.
>
>I'm not sure on what basis Trudi writes that Joan lifted a lot from Carolyn
>Hester, either--or even how Trudi knows that they had much contact at all,
>though that may be so. (But is it--or was it?) Joan did lift a lot from
>Debbie Green, but that's a who she to those not familiar with the Cambridge
>folk revival scene.
>
>Also, Joan's father was a scientist, but I'm quite sure he never won a
>Nobel Prize.
>
>--Robert Cohen (who met him--though I didn't ask him ...)

MSN 8 helps ELIMINATE E-MAIL VIRUSES. Get 2 months FREE*. ---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org ---------------------+ Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network http://shamash.org A service of Hebrew College, which offers online courses and an online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/ * * FREE JEWISH LEARNING * * Shamash invites you to join MyJewishLearning.com, a comprehensive, objective, authoritative and interactive learning resource in all areas of Judaism. Free membership via http://www.myjewishlearning.com/shamash ---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org ---------------------=

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->