Re: Richard Farina/Carolyn Hester

I talked to Teddy Schwartz not long ago and we talked about "Dona Dona"
and Joan Baez.  She said someone (Sorry, I forget who) had showed her
Teddy's book of wonderful translations of Yiddish and Hebrew songs
(Tumbalalaika, 1956)  into singable English, and that is one she chose
to do.  I don't know if I'm telling anyone anything new, but there it is.
Lorele

Trudi Goodman wrote:

> Try reading my posting again...carefully. There was a folk music
> history written in the 70's about the Boston Folk Music scene...this
> is where I got the info about Hester. It's also a pretty well known
> fact around the older Folk Scene. Again read my listing...I never said
> Baez or her father were Jewish....jeezh.
>
> Trudi
>
> >From: >Reply-To: jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org >To: World music from a
> Jewish slant >Subject: Re: Richard Farina/Carolyn Hester >Date: Tue, 6
> May 2003 13:01:48 -0700 (MST) > >I'm not sure on what basis Trudi
> avers what follows, but: 1) Joan Baez was >not Jewish, and 2) Joan did
> not learn Donna Donna from Carolyn Hester--at >least, not from
> anything I was told. I think I know exactly whence she >learned
> it--specifically, from Tony Saletan in the Boston area. > >I'm not
> sure on what basis Trudi writes that Joan lifted a lot from Carolyn
> >Hester, either--or even how Trudi knows that they had much contact at
> all, >though that may be so. (But is it--or was it?) Joan did lift a
> lot from >Debbie Green, but that's a who she to those not familiar
> with the Cambridge >folk revival scene. > >Also, Joan's father was a
> scientist, but I'm quite sure he never won a >Nobel Prize. > >--Robert
> Cohen (who met him--though I didn't ask him ...) > > > --------
> Original Message -------- > Subject: Re: Richard Farina/Carolyn Hester
> > From: "Trudi Goodman" > Date: Mon, May 5, 2003 3:45 pm > To: World
> music from a Jewish slant > > Joan Baez's dad was Mexicano. However,
> Baez is sometimes a Sephard > name. There was a Nobel Winning
> Scientist with that last name, who was > Jewish..and also Sephard and
> Latino.As for Farina...he learned La Rosa > from Carolyn Hester...the
> same place by the way that Joanie learned > Donna Donna from. As a
> matter of fact, Joan lifted alot of material > wholecloth from Carolyn
> Hester...especially the Childe Harold ballads. > So I'd thank Carolyn
> Hester for being so charitable.Trudi > > > >

> MSN 8 helps ELIMINATE E-MAIL VIRUSES.
> <http://g.msn.com/8HMIENUS/2743??PS=> Get 2 months
> FREE*.---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->