Re: JEWISH-MUSIC digest 2571

> **I'm sure the Bene Israel community will feel very bad that you did not care
> for their recording...
>  purchasers have come back and bought this CD as gifts for their
> friends...so,
> > thank G-d, they don't know just how "not very good" this recording really
> > is..

I'm not sure why anything which is not unqualified approval on my part
meets with such furious defensive reaction on this list. Let's see, I
started by saying I was delighted to see Samy El Maghribi's cd reviewed.
Then I said I thought the Bene Israel singers on this CD are not as good
as others I've heard. They may or may not be devastated to hear this
(doubt they'd be devastated) but in any case, that wasn't the point. Nor
is whether lots of people buy the cd, that's great that they're buying
it. It doesn't mean there are no better singers of Bene Israel
repertoire or that I shouldn't mention this.

> <<As for Raices, I've always found their approach far too Spanish for
> Sephardic music, and "sprightyly" in my personal dictionary tends to be
> a negative rather than positive attribute...>>

Again, I'm not writing an account of how cd's SELL. I don't really care.
Raices is a group of nice people (I've met them a few times) who are
good musicians. I think their approach to Sephardic music is off the
mark, and part of the trend in Spain to be careful about recording music
of SPanish regions with some attention to tradition, but feeling free to
ignore Sephardic song style. But, yes, they're good musicians and it's
nice that their stuff is popular - again, what does that have to do with
my comments? I've nothing against their cd's selling successfully.

> **This particular CD by Raices is by far one of the most popular Ladino
> recordings we picked up in the last 5 months--and we have over 200 Ladino
> CDs.
>
> <<Look out for the upcoming Cochini Jewish Women's Songs CD originally due
> out in February but somewhat delayed....
> Judith>>
>
> let's hope... Benai Israel community
> and Raices don't subscribe to this list...I hear they're not too partial to
> Cochini Jewish Women's Songs...but, that's only THEIR opinion.

Simon, with all my affection for you, I hope that's  meant to be a joke
and not a real comment.
Actually, since I'm always honest, groups in Spain know exactly what
myopinions are, and I've had many long, pleasant, discussions and
friendly disagreements with many of them over many coffees in many
cafe's over many years. So if they read my comments here or anywhere
else, that's fine, I'm not hiding anything. And editors in Israel read
my reviews, I don't hide anything there either. The Bene (not Benai)
Israel I know here are in fact anxious to hear the COchini recording
when it's out, so , again, I hope that remark was meant to be funny.

It's news to me that evaluations and opinions must be based on sales
reported form commercial (not in a pejorative sense) outlets; but I'm
unlikely to make that a basis for evaluation in the future. Again,
though, both George and SImon, why so knee-jerk defensive? Judith