Re: Passover attachment

Fred is absolutely correct--I should have thanked Shirona for offering to share
before launching into the anti-attachment diatribe.

Thank you, Shirona, and I apologize.

>C) There should be a means for this to be possible.
>Would she like those who would like her Word file with
>Passover songs to e-mail her directly?  By the way, if
>she does a "save as" and resaves it as an .rtf  -rich text
>format - those with WordPro would also be able to open it.
>I'm not sure about Mac compatibility.

There is a way. But first, understand the issue. Sending an attachment of ANY
sort, be it a vcf file, an image of your band or event flyer to whatever, is
strictly forbidden because receiving attachments messes up the email systems of
a significant minority of list participants to participate.

This is the fourth time in the last month that I have sent a similar message.

It isn't the content of the attachment. It is the attachment. That's why I say
NO attachments. And if I am repeating this for the 4th time, without having
been able to express the thought in a way that it will be heard by those TRYING
to be helpful, imagine my despair.

HERE ARE THE ALTERNATIVES:

1. If textual, copy the text into a plain text e-mail message, if you are
sending textual info. Don't send Word, or RTF, or anything attached--simply
copy the text, and then make sure that you are sending plain text, NOT html or
formatted text.

2. Let people know that you have the resource, and invite those who want it to
let you know personally. There is no problem with sending a specific attachment
to people who have requested it--the problem is sending the attachment to
=everyone=, which happens whenever you send such a thing to the list. That's
exactly what Fred just suggested, and it is a good, easy solution (and his
suggestion to save as rtf is also wise).

3. Put the item on the web, if you have easy access to the web, and send the
URL in your message. Then, those who want the item can retrieve it at the time,
place, and computer most convenient.

Ari "I gotta find a way where people don't have to be computer wizards to
converse on a mailing list sanely--coming soon" Davidow

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/