Re: Musicals/Jewish content : Esterke

Absolutely...I was referring to Kazimierz Dolny.

Trudi Goodman

>From: "Robert A. Rothstein"
>To: World music from a Jewish slant
>Subject: Re: Musicals/Jewish content : Esterke
>Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 20:31:05 -0500
>
>Trudi Goodman wrote:
>
> > There is a connection between Esterke and King Kazimier. Thus the town
> > Kazmierze, where many Jews, including my Grandfather lived in the Last
> > Century. I believe that Esterke was the mistress of King
> > Kazimier...not his wife.
> >

>There are several places named Kazimierz in Poland. The two best known
>from Jewish history are Kazimierz Dolny (on the Vistula River in Lublin
>Province), a favorite summer place for the Polish intelligentsia and for
>Polish Jews, and Kazimierz, the former Jewish quarter of Cracow. Both
>were named after Kazimierz III (known as "the Great"), king of Poland
>from 1333-1370, who according to legend had a Jewish mistress named
>Esterke. (See Chone Shmeruk, _The Esterke Story in Yiddish and Polish
>Literature: A Case Study in the Mutual Relations of Two Cultural
>Traditions_, Jerusalem, 1985.) Among the tourist attractions in the
>restored Kazimierz in Cracow is a hotel called "Esterka."
> The Yiddish journalist Sh. L. Shnayderman, who, if I remember
>correctly, was born in Kazimierz Dolny, wrote about it in his 1970 book
>_Ven di vaysl hot geredt yidish_ (When the Vistula Spoke Yiddish),
>published in 1978 in English as _The River Remembers_.
>
> Bob Rothstein

MSN 8 helps ELIMINATE E-MAIL VIRUSES. Get 2 months FREE*. ---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org ---------------------+ Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network http://shamash.org A service of Hebrew College, which offers online courses and an online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/ * * FREE JEWISH LEARNING * * Shamash invites you to join MyJewishLearning.com, a comprehensive, objective, authoritative and interactive learning resource in all areas of Judaism. Free membership via http://www.myjewishlearning.com/shamash ---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org ---------------------=

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->