Re: Yiddish Tango!

on the Metropolitan Klezmer "Mosaic Persuasion" CD, we have a version of a
tango from the Yiddish screwball comedy AMERICANER SHADKHN [sic], which is
probably derived melodically from Vi Ahin Zol Ikh Geyn (the filmmaker or
music director may have changed a few notes to avoid paying for rights;
director Edgar Ulmer was well-known for his low-budget wonders), but with
completely different words to suit the character's situation.  it's sung by
the modern matchmaker protagonist in the nightclub scene.  we call it the
Muzikalisher Tango since the singer has just been told [triple entendre, see
liner notes if you're into subtext] that he's quite 'muzikalish'.

- Eve Sicular

drummer/bandleader
Metropolitan Klezmer & Isle of Klezbos
151 First Avenue #145