Re: Yiddish Tango!

Dear Sylvia,

It seems to me too that the marriage of tango and Yiddish song is an
extraordinary event, partly because of the great beauty and poignancy of the
songs, but especially because of its significance. It is through this music
that I came to understand my cultural identity as an Argentinian Jew.

I have been researching the history of the Yiddish tango for nearly four
years, and as listers may remember, I produced a show in London last
November with two wonderful tango musicians who are also Argentinian Jews
(the pianist & arranger, Gustavo Beytelmann, is a familiar name as a tango &
film music composer - for example in the Argentininan film "The Jewish
Gauchos" - and he played with people like Piazzolla). My research will be
published for the first time in the April edition of the UK magazine Jewish
Quarterly, and I'm hoping to have a CD out soon.

The songs I have found so far come from three places: the Yiddish Theatre in
New York and Buenos Aires (which in the 1940s and 30s was home to the second
largest Jewish community in the world) and the Eastern European ghettos
during WWII (excluding the two tangos rendered by Zalmen Mlotek and Adrienne
Cooper, with whom I was fortunate enough to study here in London). There is
more out there to find, and it is in my immediate plans to dedicate a couple
more years to this.

It seems to me that the root of Yiddish tango is intimately connected to the
spirit of tango itself. Therefore it is possible to find a song like 'Dos
Tango fun Oshvientshim' ('The Tango of Auschwitz'), written around the same
year that lyrics with strong social comments appeared in Buenos Aires, such
as 'Cambalache' ('Junk Shop').

I could carry on and on. This topic is absolutely fascinating. I hope that
my research will be of interest to you. Contact me off list if you need the
distribution details of the Jewish Quarterly.

There some more information on my website: www.lloiczackis.com/tangele.htm.

Gut shabes,

Lloica

http://messenger.msn.co.uk