Re: klezmer (or not) Mann, oh man

On 03/03/2003 at 23:01 BrittGood (at) aol(dot)com wrote:

>Chaverim,
>pardon my enthusiasm, but ...

_Never_ excuse yourself for enthusiasm! Especially in this context, there's
nothing like it! :-)

>I'm in love with a new CD and I just had to share it with the list.

Thank you for doing so! I've been meaning to grab this one myself, both as
a (very!) long time Mann afficionado (the first album I heard by him was
Great Ideas of Western Mann - all bass clarinet, no flute in sight - and I
was instantly hooked) but still saving up the pennies...

>It's Herbie Mann's "Eastern European Roots". Yes, it's the same
>jazz flute I've loved since I first heard it as a teenager, but there
>is something more, a soulfulness. Mann explains in his liner
>notes that a brush with death made him re-examine his musical
>life, and he realized he had explored many other types of music but not
his
>own
>Jewish musical roots -- his mother is from Bucovina, Romania.

Well, that's not entirely accurate, at least, in a more general "Jewish
roots" sense. IIRC, it was Flute Souffle that featured at least one track,
Tel Aviv, on Jewish as well as other Middle Eastern themes, and certainly
the album Concerto Grosso in D Blues also had a couple of tracks on similar
themes (both albums from the 60s). There were also quite a number of
excursions into general Middle Eastern influences around that period as
well as at various times later on.

>When he recovered, he traveled to Eastern Europe and this CD is the
result.
>He's joined by other exemplary musicians, most notably Gil Goldstein on
>accordion (sounds to me like a chromatic button accordion) played
>with a moody musette sound. And Alexander Fedoriouk on cymbalom, my
>current instrument of choice. His style ranges from a dark, old time
klezmer-
>sound to a jazzy gypsy swing (a la Kalman Balogh).
>However you classify this album (jazz, klezmer), I'm sure many list
>members will also enjoy it.

Well, I for one certainly can't wait to hear it in full! Sounds wonderful,
most promising.

Richard
(Renaissance Man)