Re: klezmer (or not) Mann, oh man

In a message dated 3/3/03 11:02:41 PM, BrittGood (at) aol(dot)com writes:

<< Chaverim,
pardon my enthusiasm, but ...
I'm in love with a new CD and I just had to share it with the list.
It's Herbie Mann's "Eastern European Roots". Yes, it's the same
jazz flute I've loved since I first heard it as a teenager, but there
is something more, a soulfulness. Mann explains in his liner
notes that a brush with death made him re-examine his musical
life, and he realized he had explored many other types of music but not his
own
Jewish musical roots -- his mother is from Bucovina, Romania.
When he recovered, he traveled to Eastern Europe and this CD is the result.
He's joined by other exemplary musicians, most notably Gil Goldstein on
accordion (sounds to me like a chromatic button accordion) played
with a moody musette sound. And Alexander Fedoriouk on cymbalom, my
current instrument of choice. His style ranges from a dark, old time klezmer-
sound to a jazzy gypsy swing (a la Kalman Balogh).
However you classify this album (jazz, klezmer), I'm sure many list
members will also enjoy it.

Britt
(Nefesh Klezmer Band)

-Gil plays a piano accordion(I believe its a Victoria).
For the occasion of his 70th birthday Herbie Mann and his group played the
Blue Note Jazz Club in NYC for a week. A year later he was back again, both
times accompanied by Alexandre Fedoriouk on Cimbalom. Alexandre, I am proud
to say, is the cimbalom player on my Klezsqueeze CD also featuring Marty
Confurius on bass and Ken Maltz of Kapelye on two tracks as well as Yours
Truly on accordion.

Sy Kushner
The Klezmer Fake Books Volumes 1 and 2
Klezsqueeze/ The Sy Kushner Jewish Music Ensemble
www/sykushner.com