Wagner

Wagner, among musicians, has come to symbolize the anti-semitism in Germany
that later culminated in the Nazis, and the
most notable musical figure to write out his anti-semitism so
specifically.  But it's appropriate to remember those who thrived under
Naziism under the heading of "If you aren't part of the solution, you're
part of the problem."  As Alex Jacobowitz commented, "Great music.  Awful
politics."  I assume "ymach shmo" intends to do something unkind to their
names.  Does anyone know if Chopin (non-German) was anti-semitic?
But in the discussion of performing Wagner in Israel, I once heard the
comment that if there's a place where ONLY Wagner is performed, the
Festspielhaus in Bayreuth, then there could be a place where he's NEVER
performed, Eretz Israel.
And I vigorously disagree with
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"  Please, no more
attachments.

Fred Blumenthal
xd2fabl (at) us(dot)ibm(dot)com

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->