  From: futter
  To: World music from a Jewish slant
  Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2003 10:38 PM
  Subject: Iraqi-Jewish Music

  On the subject of Iraqi-Jewish Music, Renair Records has just released a CD
of Iraqi singers from the 1920s titled "Shbahoth" or songs of praise. These
songs were sung on Shabbat and on other festivals . With extensive sleeve notes
by the noted music scholar Sara Manasseh and in digitally remastered sound,
this reissue makes available for the first time recordings that Hagguli Darzi,
Selim Daoud, Shlomo Mouallim and others made in Iraq in the 1920s.
  Recorded on the Baidaphon , Polyphon and Odeon labels they represent a
precious legacy and allow us to hear an aural snapshot of a 2,500 year old
tradition.
  Renair Records can be contacted at records (at) renair(dot)co(dot)uk

  Julian Futter
  61 Warrington Crescent
  London W9 1EH
  +44 207 289 7960