FleytMuzik

Others have raved, but I have my own take.  And since cd-baby (bless them!)
asked me to write a review, I thought I'd share my unembarrased ethusiasm,
------------------
Adrianne!  This recording is significant on several points.

Foremost, it has a flute as a lead instrument.  Back in the old days
before Klezmer came to America and discovered Jazz music, back in the
days where it was illegal (seriously) for Jewish musicians to
play "loud instuments", the flute was a significant lead instrument for
klezmer music.  There are some great flute and tsimbl recordings in the
early days of European recording, just as the tradition was dying.

Adrianne has brought this tradition back to life and I think brought it
authentically up to date in terms of technique that the old Klezmorim
might have gone to had the Nazis and clarinets not wiped them out.

I beleive this is the first time I've be able to get a recording of
tsimblist and musicologist extrodinaire Joshua Horowitz other than his
own recordings, and it is a revelation, as a tsimbler myself, to hear
him in a non-lead role, faithfully supporting another lead.

Cookie and Marty are not exactly chopped liver either.

This is one of those breakthrough recordings.  This is a formerly dead
section (with small signs of life seen at klezmer gatherings, but not much
else) of the possible ensembles brought back to life - before Moshiach! -
and it is a thrill to hear, and to jam along to.

There is one piece where she takes the often cliched shout chorus and
transforms it into something utterly new and startling.   And then
there is the organic matter enclosed in the CD case (it smells good, not
bad, don't worry) whch just helps to show you what kind of a mind we're
dealing with here.

I am often cynical about recordings by folks who have had the benefit of a
strong classical education; but this record is one of those that proves
that it ain't where you got the chops, it's what you DO with the chops
that matters.  (In other words, I'm only envious of those years of training).

Highly recommended, but I suppose that was obvious. Yes!  Flute is a
legitimate, viable instrument for this music!

--
r l reid        ro (at) rreid(dot)net