Re: Divahn performing in NYC!

On 29/12/2002 at 16:06 Galeet Dardashti wrote:

>Dear Friends,
>
>My band Divahn is coming to NYC for some performances in January.  We are
based in Austin, TX and perform Mizrakhi and Sephardi music.  I hope that
those of you living in the New York area will be able to attend one of
these shows!  I'd love to meet some of you.

>You can also check out George Robinson's article on Divahn in The Jewish
Week next week, and listen to us on WNYC's "Sound Check" on January 8th!

Sadly, I'm on the "wrong" side of the pond for this. Nonetheless, I was
fascinated and intrigued enough to check out http://www.divahn.com , and
the sample "Yodukha Rayonai". Beautiful! There's only one problem with this
music - it leaves you hopelessly craving for more. I'd drop everything to
come along and even ignore a miserable cold. Ah well... At least, there's a
CD available, so I shall start saving my pennies.

Richard

>Thanks for your support!
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Galeet Dardashti
>Divahn
>www.divahn.com
>

>Divahn Appearing in NYC!!
>
>Wednesday, January 8th
>Makor
>35 West 67th Street
>(between Central Park West and Columbus Avenue)
>
>Jewish Music Showcase:
>Divahn will begin the evening, followed by C Lanzbom & Noah Chase, and
Klezmer Mountain Boys
>Show starts at 7 pm
>$15
>
>Saturday, January 11th
>East Midwood Jewish Center
>1625 Ocean Avenue, Brooklyn
>Advanced Tickets $25 (student tickets $10); $30 at the door
>Appetizers and Desserts Served
>7:30 pm
>For more info, please call (718) 338-3800 and ask for Edith.
>
>Fans first heard Divahn's Middle Eastern and Sephardic grooves deep in the
heart of Texas.  Today, this dynamic Austin-based quartet delights
audiences throughout the country and has made numerous live radio
appearances.  Divahn infuses traditional songs with sophisticated harmonies
and arrangements using tabla, cello, rabel, doumbek, banjo and other
acoustic instruments, plus vocals in Hebrew, Judeo-Spanish, Persian,
Arabic, Aramaic and Turkish.  Their beautiful lyricism flows through an
intense rhythmic drive.  The group distinguishes itself as the only
all-female ensemble performing Mizrakhi-influenced music (Jewish music from
the Middle East and North Africa) in the US.

>Divahn, a word common to Hebrew, Persian, and Arabic, means a collection
of songs or poetry.  Through its music, Divahn seeks to underscore the
interconnectedness of diverse Middle Eastern cultures and religions.  The
group captures the breadth and diversity of Mizrakhi and Sephardi music
throughout the centuries, while simultaneously creating and redefining
innovative directions for the music in the present.