Re: Joy of Klez--unsolicited praise

We've been doing instrumental ensembles at our shul (the Jewish Community
of Amherst -- JCA) for seven years. All of these bands have been
multi-level: professional-calibre players playing alongside amateurs and
children, often children whose parents played in the band. We began with a
string kapelye, and relied at first on the first "Klezmerantics" collection
(Seymour Milstein). That worked very well for string players at most levels
-- when a viola couldn't handle the viola part, for example, I wrote out
the bass bass part for them in their clef , etc. It was great fun, and the
community loved it (we played at our Jewish Music Festivals, holiday
parties (Purim and Chanukah), and even took it on the road to nursing homes
and other venues), but it was limited to sting players of course, and had a
kind of mechanical feeling, at least the way we did it at that time. There
was little opportunity for players to learn the roles within a klezmer
ensemble in order to learn to create their own parts -- it was enough to
start and stop together, and generate some excitement through dynamics and
tempi. We began to move toward something more interesting when we turned to
the Yale Klezmer Band collection, and did the arrangements as string
arrangements.  Because these arrangements were written for traditional
klezmer voices, we were able to talk a bit about the roles people were
playing within the band -- we had cellos do the trombone/rhythm part, etc.

Starting last year, we expanded the nature of the band -- thanks to the
Yale collection and the wonderful Maxwell Street "Joy...". Although the
arrangements accommodated most players, I still had to write out parts for
some of the younger players, and create Eb parts for the alto (not every
arrangement had an alto part), and write out the Eb rhythm part for a Bb
clarinet player who was just getting back to playing after 40 years, things
like that. We have quite a "Klez Kamp" array of instruments -- tuba,
baritone horn, cellos, violins, mandolin, accordion, flute, bass, trumpets,
and of course guitars, with recorders and other keyboards on the way this
spring. We're badly in need of percussion players, but I've been recruiting.

I'm always on the lookout for new parts -- I just got the newer
Klezmerantics collections (Wedding, Freylekhs, Pesach, Waltzes). These will
have leads, harmony lines, bass line and guitar chords, and will be a place
to start maybe, but we're now creating our own arrangements, of standards,
Beregovski tunes, Yiddish songs, chassidic melodies, and stressing the need
for players to learn the modes and the roles of their instruments. We have
a long way to go -- I will be doing more arrangements this spring, but I
hope for some of the "veterans" these arrangements will be used as guides
to what they could be playing. We're fortunate to have in the group Saul
Gladstone, who has been playing the music for 70 years -- it's about so
much more than the notes of course, and Saul is a great teacher to all of
us of how to approach and inflect the music, what the proper ornamentation
should be, how to play a triplet that isn't a triplet and isn't an eighth
and two sixteenths, etc.

The Klezmer Plus Folio (Pete Sokoloff) was also very helpful, both for
actual parts to a few tunes, and for guidance on how to create parts (in
addition to Pete's guides to klezmer arranging for band and for piano). But
it's true that there is a great need for band arrangements, and a puzzle to
me why there aren't more given the obvious interest in the music by people
at all musical levels and all ages and the possibilities for community
music making in shuls and schools of all sorts. A "Book Two" from Maxwell
Street would be a blessing, and there are many other bands that could do
the same. I hope the sales of "Joy of Klez" are strong enough to convince
Tara/Velvel to publish more and more collections!

Allen