Re: Instrument?

on 12/9/02 11:33 AM, r l reid at ro (at) panix(dot)com wrote:

> I was unaware of any hurdy gyrdies in Jewish music, but there are at
> leat two players of Jewish music who are hurdy gurdy players - Allan
> Fendler, a wonderful wooden flute player; and Beverly Woods, the tsimblist.

Make that three of us. I also play tekero, which is a Hungarian style hurdy
gurdy. It is usually tuned in A or sometimes even Bb to play with clarinets.
The construction of the tekero is more rustic than the French style
instrument, it has only three strings, the wheel is smaller to facilitate
the Hungarian style of buzzing, and it is quite loud!

We will have to experiment and see what klezmer repertoire we can play with
two hurdy gurdies.

Seth

--
Seth Austen