dreydl/dreidel

Khaveyrim,

Would those of you with old songbooks be willing to do me a favor?
 Please look and see what is the earliest that the English Chanukah song
"I Have a Little Dreidel" appears?

In my continuing search for the truth, I have been able to trace mention
of the Yiddish version back to the mid to late 30s, but still cannot
find when it first appeared, nor a print or recorded copy earlier than
1945. (Judy, I cannot seem to find the 1920s Argentinian recording you
found mention of)

The earliest English version I have is from the Coopersmith "The Songs
We Sing" from the 50s.  The ancient copy (1918?) I have of Goldfarb's,
"The Jewish Songster", compiled by the alleged composer of the English
version, does not contain it, but perhaps later editions do.

I appreciate any help you wise and learned group can give me.

A dank in foroys,
Lorele

--
You can now hear Lori's new CD, Songs My Bubbe Should Have Taught Me; Vol.1:
Passover, at: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lcahan Only $15 & postage. Email me for